Venting
macaddicted
2008-05-26 06:16:09 UTC
I suppose I just need to get this out. I just received what I consider
to be a very distressing notice from a pen site (usually goes by a three
letter acronym). There is currently a discussion regarding the nature of
their board, and one of my posts was redacted for what I consider to be
questionable reasons.

The what's and why's don't really matter. What matters to me is the fact
that the action was taken without warning or discussion. It was an
admittedly hostile opposing post, but then my opinion regarding what is
happening is hostile and in opposition. I called into question the
manner in which moderation is acheived. That post was cut. Too sad
really.
--
macaddicted
Wisdom is radiant and unfading and she is easily discerned
Wisdom 6:12 (NRSV)
krishnananda

Let's move it back here!
MatthewK
2008-05-27 16:44:03 UTC
Post by krishnananda
Post by macaddicted
I suppose I just need to get this out. I just received what I consider
to be a very distressing notice from a pen site (usually goes by a three
letter acronym). There is currently a discussion regarding the nature of
their board, and one of my posts was redacted for what I consider to be
questionable reasons.
Usenet 1, Web 0
Let's move it back here!
Yes, that would be great. On a side note I've found a non-pen
forum that has only 2 rules. No religion or politics...over
the years only a few posts have been deleted.

People can argue and say what they want...it's usenet with
pictures. ;)

matthew
ohio
Brian Ketterling
2008-05-26 07:00:42 UTC
Post by macaddicted
What matters to me is the fact
that the action was taken without warning or discussion.
I missed whatever led to the Chatter Forum's shutdown, because I rarely
check it. I'd just cut them some slack, go on to other things and let it
get sorted out in its own time -- their abruptness probably has more to do
with being harried than with being hostile.

Brian
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-05-26 17:40:27 UTC
Post by Brian Ketterling
I missed whatever led to the Chatter Forum's shutdown, because I rarely
check it. I'd just cut them some slack, go on to other things and let it
get sorted out in its own time -- their abruptness probably has more to do
with being harried than with being hostile.
It probably has to do with the fact that they'd like to keep the site
commercial-free and the chatter forum was using up a huge chunk of the site's
bandwidth. If there were enough people who wanted to put in the time to moderate
AND also enough money AND enough bandwidth, it probably wouldn't have been an
issue.

That said, I think allowing religion or politics on a web forum dedicated to
neither is never a good idea.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
2008-05-27 04:14:33 UTC
On Mon, 26 May 2008 10:40:27 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
Post by Deirdre Saoirse Moen
Post by Brian Ketterling
I missed whatever led to the Chatter Forum's shutdown, because I rarely
check it. I'd just cut them some slack, go on to other things and let it
get sorted out in its own time -- their abruptness probably has more to do
with being harried than with being hostile.
It probably has to do with the fact that they'd like to keep the site
commercial-free and the chatter forum was using up a huge chunk of the site's
bandwidth. If there were enough people who wanted to put in the time to moderate
AND also enough money AND enough bandwidth, it probably wouldn't have been an
issue.
Deidre, don't try to take up for those dipshits. You know damn well
they censor certain political and religious thought in chatter.

And next time you're on FPN, invite your asshole friends to come
discuss it on the usenet.
r***@gmail.com
2008-05-27 15:28:01 UTC
"The admins on FPN are average dipshits. There's not much good you
can
say about them: You can't polish a turd.

Welcome to the usenet and invite your friends. The FPN admins will
never come out of the woodwork and into this forum."

Probably not.

Regards,
RuaidhrĂ­ :)
The Drunken Lord
2008-05-28 02:17:08 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
"The admins on FPN are average dipshits. There's not much good you
can
say about them: You can't polish a turd.
Welcome to the usenet and invite your friends. The FPN admins will
never come out of the woodwork and into this forum."
Probably not.
Let's get something straight, Ruaidhri: You might be a big shot on
FPN and those dipshits might come whining to you to censor people on
FPN, but you can't do any censoring here, and, as you can see from the
examples of some of the FPN crybabies who have complained
here--whining won't get you nowhere on the usenet. It might work on
FPN but not here.

What's more, on the usenet, we don't have to put up with just sitting
by quietly while those FPN fucknuts display their rank stupidity, like
you have to do on FPN, because if you started banning all the idiots
on FPN, damn, you wouldn't be left with but a very few people. If any
of those dipshits come here and post about how they put ink in the
microwave, or run up a post explaining they've discovered ink can
stain, anybody here can call them out for the fucking idiots they are
without having to worry about you or any of your asshole friends
censoring or moderating or banning anybody.

And I know you aren't the leader of those dipshits, but you're in with
them.

Those dipshits are too yellow to come here and post, but you ought to
tell them to come here and take a look.
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-05-27 15:46:49 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
Deidre, don't try to take up for those dipshits. You know damn well
they censor certain political and religious thought in chatter.
Speaking as someone who wasn't censored for admittedly odd religious
beliefs, I think it was the form of expression rather than the
thought itself.
Post by The Drunken Lord
And next time you're on FPN, invite your asshole friends to come
discuss it on the usenet.
I didn't invite anyone. Why would I when you're here?
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
2008-05-27 23:05:56 UTC
On Tue, 27 May 2008 08:46:49 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
Post by The Drunken Lord
Deidre, don't try to take up for those dipshits. You know damn well
they censor certain political and religious thought in chatter.
Speaking as someone who wasn't censored for admittedly odd religious
beliefs, I think it was the form of expression rather than the
thought itself.
If you want to write about your kooky religious beliefs, here would
probably be a better place for that than FPN. At least here you won't
be moderated or censored.
Post by The Drunken Lord
And next time you're on FPN, invite your asshole friends to come
discuss it on the usenet.
I didn't invite anyone. Why would I when you're here?
Deidre, insulting people is not nice. You should know that. I'm not
going to put a blowtorch up under your ass for two reasons, one,
because you're a woman and it wouldn't be gentlemanly, and second,
because you have made many positive contributions to this forum and
wasted very little bandwidth.

In return, I think it would be nice of you to invite some assholes
from FPN to this forum.
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-05-28 00:40:06 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
On Tue, 27 May 2008 08:46:49 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
If you want to write about your kooky religious beliefs, here would
probably be a better place for that than FPN. At least here you won't
be moderated or censored.
Ehh, I'll save it for livejournal. Fits better there. ;)
Post by The Drunken Lord
Post by Deirdre Saoirse Moen
I didn't invite anyone. Why would I when you're here?
Deidre, insulting people is not nice. You should know that. I'm not
going to put a blowtorch up under your ass for two reasons, one,
because you're a woman and it wouldn't be gentlemanly, and second,
because you have made many positive contributions to this forum and
wasted very little bandwidth.
You've been a bit over-the-top, and I've been away from usenet too long,
so my apologies.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
2008-05-30 03:03:26 UTC
On Tue, 27 May 2008 17:40:06 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
Post by The Drunken Lord
On Tue, 27 May 2008 08:46:49 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
If you want to write about your kooky religious beliefs, here would
probably be a better place for that than FPN. At least here you won't
be moderated or censored.
Ehh, I'll save it for livejournal. Fits better there. ;)
Post it whereever you please. But you won't be posting it in the FPN
chatter forum. A lot of those dipshits on FPN go in for traditional
crap, which is why a lot of them use fountain pens. A lot of the guys
on FPN actually use straight razors and shaving soap and brush--there
was a thread on chatter about it awhile back. A lot of these same
people whine about saturated inks made by Nathan and PR, whining about
the stain, and they prefer some old ugly ass blue-black that goes
along iwth their antique pens.

And they whine about nib creep. "Boo-hoo, Nathan's ink creeps my
nib."

And these are the same ones who whine to high heaven when somebody
posts a nontraditional religious concept on FPN, or when somebody
suggests that George Bush be tried for treason.

Goddamn, if fountain pens got relegated to the same status as using
straight razors--that's what people like Nathan Tardif and others are
trying to move fountain pens away from. Overall, FPN probably does a
disservice to fountain pens and are working hard to hasten the
extinction of fountain pens. Let's face it: if we couldn't get
Nathan's ink or PR's ink or the new Diamine inks, we'd be left with
the old ugly colors they used back in the days people used straight
razors, which is exactly what a lot of people on FPN use and advocate.
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-05-31 00:38:08 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
A lot of these same
people whine about saturated inks made by Nathan and PR, whining about
the stain, and they prefer some old ugly ass blue-black that goes
along iwth their antique pens.
And they whine about nib creep. "Boo-hoo, Nathan's ink creeps my
nib."
As I've said on FPN, I'm a bit forgetful, so I kinda like the nib creep.
It reminds me what ink's in what pen.
Post by The Drunken Lord
Goddamn, if fountain pens got relegated to the same status as using
straight razors--that's what people like Nathan Tardif and others are
trying to move fountain pens away from.
I personally wonder a lot about people who think they're really using
fountain pens when the best pen they've got is a Lamy Safari. And they
want a Lamy forum.

I admit: I don't like Lamy pens. It's the Lamy users that drive me bats,
though.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63261
Post by The Drunken Lord
Let's face it: if we couldn't get
Nathan's ink or PR's ink or the new Diamine inks, we'd be left with
the old ugly colors they used back in the days people used straight
razors, which is exactly what a lot of people on FPN use and advocate.
That's okay, they don't like colorful pens, either.

(More for me!)
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
2008-05-31 03:04:33 UTC
On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:38:08 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
Post by The Drunken Lord
A lot of these same
people whine about saturated inks made by Nathan and PR, whining about
the stain, and they prefer some old ugly ass blue-black that goes
along iwth their antique pens.
And they whine about nib creep. "Boo-hoo, Nathan's ink creeps my
nib."
As I've said on FPN, I'm a bit forgetful, so I kinda like the nib creep.
It reminds me what ink's in what pen.
Deidre, I respect your opinion on many issues, but I'll be damn if I'm
gonna wade through all that bullshit from all those idiots that post
on FPN to find your posts. What I do is go by there about once a week
and look at the new threads.

FPN is 99% horseshit.
Post by The Drunken Lord
Goddamn, if fountain pens got relegated to the same status as using
straight razors--that's what people like Nathan Tardif and others are
trying to move fountain pens away from.
I personally wonder a lot about people who think they're really using
fountain pens when the best pen they've got is a Lamy Safari. And they
want a Lamy forum.
I've got some old parker, a duofold--I think that's what you call it,
and a Parker that is not a 51 but looks like one and writes pretty
decent, and a bunch of cheap pens. most of them chinese and they're
actually pretty decent pens. Nice fountain pens are cool, but way
over priced.
(More for me!)
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-05-31 09:19:24 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:38:08 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
Post by Deirdre Saoirse Moen
I personally wonder a lot about people who think they're really using
fountain pens when the best pen they've got is a Lamy Safari. And they
want a Lamy forum.
I've got some old parker, a duofold--I think that's what you call it,
and a Parker that is not a 51 but looks like one and writes pretty
decent, and a bunch of cheap pens. most of them chinese and they're
actually pretty decent pens. Nice fountain pens are cool, but way
over priced.
There's a lot of good pens that don't cost a lot of money. For a new
pen made in a first world country at a cheap price point, a Safari's
not bad. That's not what I'm talking about.

It was the POV that got me. It's a case of "I really like this pen, so
let's have our own forum!" -- regardless of the fact that there's not
really a lot to say about that particular pen, week in, week out.

I have a modest old Vacumatic myself -- it's a nice user grade, and
I have two vintage Sheaffers that cost me less than a Lamy Safari would.
I prefer modern pens, but I do think there's more to say about the
Sheaffers.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
2008-05-31 17:51:59 UTC
On Sat, 31 May 2008 02:19:24 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
Post by Deirdre Saoirse Moen
It was the POV that got me. It's a case of "I really like this pen, so
let's have our own forum!" -- regardless of the fact that there's not
really a lot to say about that particular pen, week in, week out.
Yeah, chalk up another one for the FPN nitwits.
Post by Deirdre Saoirse Moen
I have a modest old Vacumatic myself -- it's a nice user grade, and
I have two vintage Sheaffers that cost me less than a Lamy Safari would.
I prefer modern pens, but I do think there's more to say about the
Sheaffers.
Yeah, I picked up some old Sheaffers on eBay that I haven't even much
looked at yet, but I'm thinking maybe the Sheaffers are underrated
too.

But that Parker Duofold I've got--if that's what it is--it's one of
those yellow ones with a gold nib--that is really a good writing pen.
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-05-31 18:02:27 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
Yeah, I picked up some old Sheaffers on eBay that I haven't even much
looked at yet, but I'm thinking maybe the Sheaffers are underrated
too.
I tend to prefer Sheaffer (in some of their lines) to Parker, but it's
surface details, mostly. They come in colors I prefer.
Post by The Drunken Lord
But that Parker Duofold I've got--if that's what it is--it's one of
those yellow ones with a gold nib--that is really a good writing pen.
The yellow Duofold is quite a striking color.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
2008-05-31 20:05:41 UTC
On Sat, 31 May 2008 11:02:27 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
Post by The Drunken Lord
Yeah, I picked up some old Sheaffers on eBay that I haven't even much
looked at yet, but I'm thinking maybe the Sheaffers are underrated
too.
I tend to prefer Sheaffer (in some of their lines) to Parker, but it's
surface details, mostly. They come in colors I prefer.
It is--or it was--I don't know if it still is easier to get decent
Sheaffer pens pretty cheap on eBay, older ones, I mean. And the 4 or
5 or so that I got look to be in pretty good shape or easily
repairable, and I'll probably make the points italic or stubs one day.

A decent cheap pen that I got is the Waterman Phileas.
Post by The Drunken Lord
But that Parker Duofold I've got--if that's what it is--it's one of
those yellow ones with a gold nib--that is really a good writing pen.
The yellow Duofold is quite a striking color.
Yeah, but I base pens on how they write--how I like how they write and
not what they look at. I never look at pens. I mean, sure, if I ran
into somebody who had some neat fountain pens, I'd sure look at em.
But I don't much care.
masqueblanche
2008-06-02 06:18:31 UTC
I noticed tonight that a thread on FPN got locked because it questioned
if you could get banned for posts outside the FPN domain. Evidently,
the first rule of FPN is that we don't talk about FPN rules?
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-03 04:09:27 UTC
Post by masqueblanche
I noticed tonight that a thread on FPN got locked because it questioned
if you could get banned for posts outside the FPN domain. Evidently,
the first rule of FPN is that we don't talk about FPN rules?
If you know the FPN moderators, I don't guess it should surprise you
one bit if they banned somebody for something they posted here.

They censor on FPN, and they might wish like hell they could censor
here as well, but those fucknuts can't do shit here. And if they ban
you for something you posted here, fuck em. Who wants to be part of
such a forum?
MatthewK
2008-06-03 03:58:45 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
Post by masqueblanche
I noticed tonight that a thread on FPN got locked because it questioned
if you could get banned for posts outside the FPN domain. Evidently,
the first rule of FPN is that we don't talk about FPN rules?
If you know the FPN moderators, I don't guess it should surprise you
one bit if they banned somebody for something they posted here.
One of the funny things about all this to me is that I've read
fpn more in the last couple of days than the last 3 months. The
degree of censorship is outrageous...locking threads because
people can't be trusted to ignore things the admins want them
too.

I can't believe they locked a legitimate "comunity feedback"
thread...well, on second thought.

matthew
ohio
Bluesea
2008-06-03 20:24:50 UTC
I noticed tonight that a thread on FPN got locked because it questioned if
you could get banned for posts outside the FPN domain.
1. Banning someone for something posted offsite is the work of a control
freak.

2. That someone felt to ask if it's possible indicates paranoia.

3. That the thread got locked indicates that #1 applies to FPN and that #2
was a valid question, not paranoia.
--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.
Stephen Hust
2008-06-03 22:26:17 UTC
Post by Bluesea
Post by masqueblanche
I noticed tonight that a thread on FPN got locked because it
questioned if you could get banned for posts outside the FPN
domain.
1. Banning someone for something posted offsite is the work of a
control freak.
2. That someone felt to ask if it's possible indicates paranoia.
3. That the thread got locked indicates that #1 applies to FPN
and that #2 was a valid question, not paranoia.
Can somebody tell me where the infamous "Chatter" forum is? I
gathered that it was to be reopened, but I don't see it. Or is it
something only FPN members see?

As I've said here before, I don't understand why so many people
prefer Web-based forums to Usenet. I don't like having to register
at a Web site (and register separately at each Web site), I don't
like having somebody who "knows best" (the moderator,
administrator, or whatever) censor articles, and I don't like the
Web forum interfaces I've seen. I find them all cumbersome and not
nearly as user friendly as a newsreader. The poor interface alone
is enough to put me off reading Web-based forums. And this latest
business makes them sound more unattractive than ever.

If Frank were still alive and posting on a Web forum, maybe I'd
read it regularly, but even then I have my doubts that I could
stand it for long.
--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
MatthewK
2008-06-03 22:30:24 UTC
Post by Stephen Hust
Can somebody tell me where the infamous "Chatter" forum is? I
gathered that it was to be reopened, but I don't see it. Or is it
something only FPN members see?
AFAIK the chatter has been reopened and recently closed again.
You can read about it in comunity feedback along with some
other interesting threads.
Post by Stephen Hust
As I've said here before, I don't understand why so many people
prefer Web-based forums to Usenet. I don't like having to register
at a Web site (and register separately at each Web site), I don't
like having somebody who "knows best" (the moderator,
administrator, or whatever) censor articles, and I don't like the
Web forum interfaces I've seen. I find them all cumbersome and not
nearly as user friendly as a newsreader. The poor interface alone
is enough to put me off reading Web-based forums. And this latest
business makes them sound more unattractive than ever.
Yeah, I think most people just either can't figure out the
software or deal with free speech on unmoderated forums.

There is nothing effiecent about most of the "easy" interfaces
IMO...user illusion and all that.
Post by Stephen Hust
If Frank were still alive and posting on a Web forum, maybe I'd
read it regularly, but even then I have my doubts that I could
stand it for long.
I learned a lot about pens from googling Frank's old posts. If
not for Frank I would probably still not know how to clean a
pen properly after filling. I know, I know, it's lame but that
never came up on FPN before I found this usenet group.

matthew
ohio
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-04 02:14:25 UTC
Post by Stephen Hust
As I've said here before, I don't understand why so many people
prefer Web-based forums to Usenet. I don't like having to register
at a Web site (and register separately at each Web site), I don't
like having somebody who "knows best" (the moderator,
administrator, or whatever) censor articles, and I don't like the
Web forum interfaces I've seen. I find them all cumbersome and not
nearly as user friendly as a newsreader. The poor interface alone
is enough to put me off reading Web-based forums. And this latest
business makes them sound more unattractive than ever.
Yeah, I think most people just either can't figure out the
software or deal with free speech on unmoderated forums.
95% of the people who post on FPN are idiots. About 2% are people
like Splicer who go there basically to fuck with the mentally
retarded, like the guy who posted that he drank a bottle of Noodler's.
I can't remember who that was. The rest include some people who are
just interested in pens and ink. You just got to wade through a bunch
of bullshit to get to their posts.

FPN is a waste of time. There's not as many people here, but at least
they ain't no where near as stupid as the average FPNer.
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-06-03 23:10:08 UTC
Post by Stephen Hust
Can somebody tell me where the infamous "Chatter" forum is? I
gathered that it was to be reopened, but I don't see it. Or is it
something only FPN members see?
Since it was re-opened, only members can see the chatter forum.
The practical side of this is that Google doesn't index it,
which means that robots don't hit the servers quite so much. It
also means the stuff that's useful about pens is indexed.
Post by Stephen Hust
As I've said here before, I don't understand why so many people
prefer Web-based forums to Usenet. I don't like having to register
at a Web site (and register separately at each Web site), I don't
like having somebody who "knows best" (the moderator,
administrator, or whatever) censor articles, and I don't like the
Web forum interfaces I've seen. I find them all cumbersome and not
nearly as user friendly as a newsreader. The poor interface alone
is enough to put me off reading Web-based forums. And this latest
business makes them sound more unattractive than ever.
I don't mind it, but I don't mistake it for the free-for-all that
usenet offers. I think some people do, and that's where there gets
to be trouble on boards.

A web forum's owners bear all the costs; FPN is ad-free, and has
chosen not to take money from advertisers. They raise money through
CafePress and ink and pen sales (of their own inks and pens) and
accept donations.

In contrast, usenet server owners distribute costs broadly.

Here's a post I wrote about the whole chatter forum [text in
brackets not in original post but added for context]:
This is how I see it (and why I don't have a problem with the
moderating). I see it [FPN] as the owner's parlour. The owner's
brought in some people to help run the party as they have
time. Any guest who agrees to the parlour owner's sense of
decorum can speak their mind on pens and many other topics.

Here we are, long-term guests in a pen party, and that's what
we are: guests.

FPN isn't "our" place, though we share a larger experience.

Ultimately, though, airing forum dirty laundry in public is rude,
both to the owners and admins, and to the other guests --
most of whom are here to learn and talk more about pens and inks
and not who likes who or who did what to whom.

That's just my take.
Post by Stephen Hust
If Frank were still alive and posting on a Web forum, maybe I'd
read it regularly, but even then I have my doubts that I could
stand it for long.
I find that there are a lot of valuable insights on FPN, but they
can get lost in the volume of the traffic.

I'll make sure to start posting my pen and ink reviews here as well
as on FPN (and I'll add them to one of my blogs as well).
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-04 03:36:18 UTC
Post by Stephen Hust
[...]
And here they can speak about FPN horseshit if they please. Damn, it
feels good to blast those fucknuts. This place has been dead--or
close to it--for ages--and I've had to buzz through FPN to find out
about new stuff and that kind of crap. I still have to go to FPN, but
glad to see this place seems to be reviving.
MatthewK
2008-06-04 17:44:39 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 16:10:08 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
Post by Deirdre Saoirse Moen
In contrast, usenet server owners distribute costs broadly.
Here's a post I wrote about the whole chatter forum [text in
This is how I see it (and why I don't have a problem with the
moderating). I see it [FPN] as the owner's parlour. The owner's
brought in some people to help run the party as they have
time. Any guest who agrees to the parlour owner's sense of
decorum can speak their mind on pens and many other topics.
And here they can speak about FPN horseshit if they please. Damn, it
feels good to blast those fucknuts. This place has been dead--or
close to it--for ages--and I've had to buzz through FPN to find out
about new stuff and that kind of crap. I still have to go to FPN, but
glad to see this place seems to be reviving.
Yeah, since you've been here posting has gone up I think. Even
when you don't post ;)
Bluesea
2008-06-05 03:26:12 UTC
Post by MatthewK
Post by The Drunken Lord
This place has been dead--or
close to it--for ages--and I've had to buzz through FPN to find out
about new stuff and that kind of crap. I still have to go to FPN, but
glad to see this place seems to be reviving.
Yeah, since you've been here posting has gone up I think. Even
when you don't post ;)
Gee, I thought it died down because I left and started reviving because I
returned.

Oh, well.
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-05 04:28:52 UTC
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 22:26:12 -0500, "Bluesea"
Post by Bluesea
Post by MatthewK
Post by The Drunken Lord
This place has been dead--or
close to it--for ages--and I've had to buzz through FPN to find out
about new stuff and that kind of crap. I still have to go to FPN, but
glad to see this place seems to be reviving.
Yeah, since you've been here posting has gone up I think. Even
when you don't post ;)
Gee, I thought it died down because I left and started reviving because I
returned.
Oh, well.
I don't know why the postings are picking up, dude, but you do get
credit for sticking around and maintaining your cool when there's a
hardcore flamer loose on the group.
Bluesea
2008-06-06 21:46:55 UTC
Post by Bluesea
Post by MatthewK
Post by The Drunken Lord
This place has been dead--or
close to it--for ages--and I've had to buzz through FPN to find out
about new stuff and that kind of crap. I still have to go to FPN, but
glad to see this place seems to be reviving.
Yeah, since you've been here posting has gone up I think. Even
when you don't post ;)
Gee, I thought it died down because I left and started reviving because I
returned.
Oh, well.
I don't know why the postings are picking up, dude,
Yes, I don't know why, either, but it sounded good to me ;).
Post by The Drunken Lord
but you do get
credit for sticking around and maintaining your cool when there's a
hardcore flamer loose on the group.
Thanks :).
MatthewK
2008-06-05 04:29:10 UTC
Post by Bluesea
Post by MatthewK
Post by The Drunken Lord
This place has been dead--or
close to it--for ages--and I've had to buzz through FPN to find out
about new stuff and that kind of crap. I still have to go to FPN, but
glad to see this place seems to be reviving.
Yeah, since you've been here posting has gone up I think. Even
when you don't post ;)
Gee, I thought it died down because I left and started reviving because I
returned.
Oh, well.
what I know? I've only been not lurking for a few months I
think ;)
Bluesea
2008-06-06 21:49:34 UTC
Post by MatthewK
Post by Bluesea
Post by MatthewK
Post by The Drunken Lord
This place has been dead--or
close to it--for ages--and I've had to buzz through FPN to find out
about new stuff and that kind of crap. I still have to go to FPN, but
glad to see this place seems to be reviving.
Yeah, since you've been here posting has gone up I think. Even
when you don't post ;)
Gee, I thought it died down because I left and started reviving because I
returned.
Oh, well.
what I know? I've only been not lurking for a few months I
think ;)
I'm glad. When I came back, I was concerned that I'd have to join a forum.
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-07 03:48:38 UTC
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:49:34 -0500, "Bluesea"
Post by Bluesea
Post by MatthewK
what I know? I've only been not lurking for a few months I
think ;)
I'm glad. When I came back, I was concerned that I'd have to join a forum.
Maybe there are enough of us here to rebuild this group so you don't
have to be a "guest" in a shithouse.
Bluesea
2008-06-08 08:57:11 UTC
Post by Bluesea
Post by MatthewK
what I know? I've only been not lurking for a few months I
think ;)
I'm glad. When I came back, I was concerned that I'd have to join a forum.
Maybe there are enough of us here to rebuild this group so you don't
have to be a "guest" in a shithouse.
Yes, even now, it's better than it was earlier.
The Drunken Lord
It sure beats being a guest in the FPN shithouse.
Bluesea
2008-06-04 14:54:08 UTC
Post by Deirdre Saoirse Moen
Here's a post I wrote about the whole chatter forum [text in
This is how I see it (and why I don't have a problem with the
moderating). I see it [FPN] as the owner's parlour. The owner's
brought in some people to help run the party as they have
time. Any guest who agrees to the parlour owner's sense of
decorum can speak their mind on pens and many other topics.
Here we are, long-term guests in a pen party, and that's what
we are: guests.
It's a good simile.
Post by Deirdre Saoirse Moen
I'll make sure to start posting my pen and ink reviews here as well
as on FPN (and I'll add them to one of my blogs as well).
Kewl.
The Drunken Lord
Yeah, FPN is a great place if you like being a guest in a shithole.
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-04 02:09:54 UTC
Post by Stephen Hust
Can somebody tell me where the infamous "Chatter" forum is? I
gathered that it was to be reopened, but I don't see it. Or is it
something only FPN members see?
I saw it today. They should call it the horseshit forum. What
happens is people post religious and political views, generally pretty
orthodox, and then when somebody posts an opposing view, the religious
right whines to the moderators and the unorthodox posts are censored.
Post by Stephen Hust
As I've said here before, I don't understand why so many people
prefer Web-based forums to Usenet. I don't like having to register
at a Web site (and register separately at each Web site), I don't
like having somebody who "knows best" (the moderator,
administrator, or whatever) censor articles, and I don't like the
Web forum interfaces I've seen. I find them all cumbersome and not
nearly as user friendly as a newsreader. The poor interface alone
is enough to put me off reading Web-based forums. And this latest
business makes them sound more unattractive than ever.
The thing is, most of the dumbasses on FPN know how to find FPN but
have never heard of the usenet. That's how dumb they are. If you
read their posts, you can believe they're that stupid, or even
stupider--I mean, they've posted about such things as putting ink in
microwave ovens--one guy posted that it turns out, ink has staining
characteristics. He said it "permanently stained" his sink but he
removed the permanent stain with elbow grease. And I don't mind a bit
calling this idiot out by his FPN login: SamCapote.
Post by Stephen Hust
If Frank were still alive and posting on a Web forum, maybe I'd
read it regularly, but even then I have my doubts that I could
stand it for long.
Nathan Tardif still posts sometimes on FPN, but only about his inks
and not about pens, and sometimes his posts are about as nutty as the
other bullshit you can read on FPN
Bluesea
2008-06-04 14:44:02 UTC
Post by Stephen Hust
As I've said here before, I don't understand why so many people
prefer Web-based forums to Usenet. I don't like having to register
at a Web site (and register separately at each Web site)...
That's why I haven't joined any. I've already got enough usernames and
passwords that they're too much bother compared to the ease of Usenet. But
then, I started interacting with others online on Usenet. I think that most
of the people using the forums started on them. Many of the people I know
haven't heard of Usenet. Those that have, don't know the first thing about
how to access it, except for the few who already post and/or lurk.
Brian Ketterling
2008-06-04 15:55:49 UTC
Post by Bluesea
I think that most
of the people using the forums started on them.
That's probably right, and they probably got there via Google when they
bought their first FP, or revived an old interest. But I also have the
impression that of the smaller population here, there was an exodus to e.g.
FPN a couple of years ago, when ACPP really went moribund. And I think
there /may/ be a trickle back now.

I like both, and hope neither goes away.

Brian
MatthewK
2008-06-04 17:48:58 UTC
Post by Brian Ketterling
Post by Bluesea
I think that most
of the people using the forums started on them.
That's probably right, and they probably got there via Google when they
bought their first FP, or revived an old interest. But I also have the
impression that of the smaller population here, there was an exodus to e.g.
FPN a couple of years ago, when ACPP really went moribund. And I think
there /may/ be a trickle back now.
I found fpn first and then found this forum while looking for
answers on usenet that couldn't be found of fpn. One of the
other groups I function on is nearly dead now...not enough
readers could ignore or not be bothered by the trolls. I think
it will be back to normal when the crappy weather hits everyone
again.

this thread made me aware of pentrace. :)

matthew
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-04 22:46:44 UTC
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:55:49 -0400, "Brian Ketterling"
Post by Brian Ketterling
Post by Bluesea
I think that most
of the people using the forums started on them.
That's probably right, and they probably got there via Google when they
bought their first FP, or revived an old interest. But I also have the
impression that of the smaller population here, there was an exodus to e.g.
FPN a couple of years ago, when ACPP really went moribund. And I think
there /may/ be a trickle back now.
Somebody needs to come up with a FAQ to explain to those FPN fuckups
how to get here.

At least here they don't have to feel like guests in some shithole.
Bluesea
2008-06-05 03:36:40 UTC
Post by Brian Ketterling
Post by Bluesea
I think that most
of the people using the forums started on them.
That's probably right, and they probably got there via Google when they
bought their first FP, or revived an old interest. But I also have the
impression that of the smaller population here, there was an exodus to e.g.
FPN a couple of years ago, when ACPP really went moribund. And I think
there /may/ be a trickle back now.
Yes, as I replied to MatthewK, acp-p died down apparently in conjunction of
my leaving in Oct. '06 and is reviving apparently upon my return :D.

I didn't know I had such power ;).
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-04 02:04:04 UTC
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 15:24:50 -0500, "Bluesea"
Post by Bluesea
I noticed tonight that a thread on FPN got locked because it questioned if
you could get banned for posts outside the FPN domain.
1. Banning someone for something posted offsite is the work of a control
freak.
2. That someone felt to ask if it's possible indicates paranoia.
3. That the thread got locked indicates that #1 applies to FPN and that #2
was a valid question, not paranoia.
For sure they're a bunch of control freaks on FPN.

I read those threads too. Wim needs to stick to ink reviews because
he's a piss ant as an administrator.

That's what I've been saying about FPN for awhile now--it's a censored
forum and the admins and moderators are full of shit.

I went to Pentrace to read more about it. Somebody needs to direct
those people here. This is a much better place for discussion than
some censored web board.
masqueblanche
2008-06-04 03:33:06 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
I went to Pentrace to read more about it. Somebody needs to direct
those people here. This is a much better place for discussion than
some censored web board.
Wait, was it PenTrace or Twitter? I got the impression that stuff was
posted on Twitter and the FPN admins got the update and that is what got
the ball rolling...maybe I'm not reading the same thread.
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-04 03:59:57 UTC
Post by masqueblanche
Post by The Drunken Lord
I went to Pentrace to read more about it. Somebody needs to direct
those people here. This is a much better place for discussion than
some censored web board.
Wait, was it PenTrace or Twitter? I got the impression that stuff was
posted on Twitter and the FPN admins got the update and that is what got
the ball rolling...maybe I'm not reading the same thread.
Damn, I can't go back and look right now--it's bedtime--but I'm sure
it was Pentrace that was mentioned in the thread I read. It said
there was a lot of stuff on Pentrace about censorship on FPN.

I don't even know what Twitter is. Do you have an url?

But I went to Pentrace today and didn't see the stuff. I don't know
if I just didn't look good enough though.
masqueblanche
2008-06-04 04:56:17 UTC
Take a look at www.twitter.com, it's basically a system for providing
continuous updates about what you are doing. Kinda like a micro-blog.

I PMed some of the contributors in the know on the closed thread and it
seem they had an ex-Mod who tended to use the forum to promote his
pro-GLBT and somewhat radical religious views. The FPN team booted him
but he kept posting things that weren't in line with the PC censored
basis of FPN. It seems he pushed them too far this past weekend and
caused the FPN to circle the wagons and crack down on rogue posters.
Bluesea
2008-06-04 14:46:15 UTC
Post by masqueblanche
Take a look at www.twitter.com, it's basically a system for providing
continuous updates about what you are doing. Kinda like a micro-blog.
I PMed some of the contributors in the know on the closed thread and it
seem they had an ex-Mod who tended to use the forum to promote his
pro-GLBT...
Giant Lettuce, Bacon, & Tomato?
masqueblanche
2008-06-14 23:10:40 UTC
Post by Bluesea
Post by masqueblanche
Take a look at www.twitter.com, it's basically a system for providing
continuous updates about what you are doing. Kinda like a micro-blog.
I PMed some of the contributors in the know on the closed thread and it
seem they had an ex-Mod who tended to use the forum to promote his
pro-GLBT...
Giant Lettuce, Bacon, & Tomato?
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender.

He was interested in more than just "pens". His PMs to minors caused
consternation among the admins. Coupled with some wacky religious
beliefs, it was decided he wasn't exactly family-friendly and could get
the site in legal trouble if they looked to be supported his deviant
appetites.
Bluesea
2008-06-15 04:28:39 UTC
Post by masqueblanche
Post by Bluesea
Post by masqueblanche
Take a look at www.twitter.com, it's basically a system for providing
continuous updates about what you are doing. Kinda like a micro-blog.
I PMed some of the contributors in the know on the closed thread and it
seem they had an ex-Mod who tended to use the forum to promote his
pro-GLBT...
Giant Lettuce, Bacon, & Tomato?
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender.
Thanks.
Post by masqueblanche
He was interested in more than just "pens". His PMs to minors caused
consternation among the admins. Coupled with some wacky religious
beliefs, it was decided he wasn't exactly family-friendly and could get
the site in legal trouble if they looked to be supported his deviant
appetites.
Yes. An OT agenda like his could lead to hot water for the site if one chose
to pursue the site owner(s).
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-15 15:52:28 UTC
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 23:28:39 -0500, "Bluesea"
Post by Bluesea
Post by masqueblanche
He was interested in more than just "pens". His PMs to minors caused
consternation among the admins. Coupled with some wacky religious
beliefs, it was decided he wasn't exactly family-friendly and could get
the site in legal trouble if they looked to be supported his deviant
appetites.
Yes. An OT agenda like his could lead to hot water for the site if one chose
to pursue the site owner(s).
Yeah, but you're assuming this person is telling the truth. This
person might be telling the truth, might not be. If this person is
telling the truth, well, it's a little far fetched that somebody would
seek to pursue inappropriate relationships with minors on FPN.

For one thing, FPN isn't exactly loaded with minors. There are much
better than FPN to seek out minors.

Basically, this person's "family friendly" description backs up what
I've been saying all along about FPN being basically a right wing
fundamentalist site, at least in the area of political views.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that this person's
claims are horseshit.
Bluesea
2008-06-16 03:15:22 UTC
Post by Bluesea
Post by masqueblanche
He was interested in more than just "pens". His PMs to minors caused
consternation among the admins. Coupled with some wacky religious
beliefs, it was decided he wasn't exactly family-friendly and could get
the site in legal trouble if they looked to be supported his deviant
appetites.
Yes. An OT agenda like his could lead to hot water for the site if one chose
to pursue the site owner(s).
Yeah, but you're assuming this person is telling the truth.
And you're assuming that I'm assuming the person was telling the truth.

The only thing I did was agree that the situation described could lead to
hot water for the site owners. Whether or not the situation actually existed
means nothing to me either way. I was only curious about what GLBT meant.
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-17 01:44:48 UTC
Post by Bluesea
Post by masqueblanche
He was interested in more than just "pens". His PMs to minors caused
consternation among the admins. Coupled with some wacky religious
beliefs, it was decided he wasn't exactly family-friendly and could get
the site in legal trouble if they looked to be supported his deviant
appetites.
Yes. An OT agenda like his could lead to hot water for the site if one chose
to pursue the site owner(s).
Yeah, but you're assuming this person is telling the truth.
And you're assuming that I'm assuming the person was telling the truth.
The only thing I did was agree that the situation described could lead to
hot water for the site owners. Whether or not the situation actually existed
means nothing to me either way. I was only curious about what GLBT meant.
I didn't know what it meant either.

I wonder how that jackass knew what it meant? He's probably a
fundamentalist christian, and they know those kinds of things.
masqueblanche
2008-06-17 04:08:02 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
I didn't know what it meant either.
I wonder how that jackass knew what it meant? He's probably a
fundamentalist christian, and they know those kinds of things.
It's a very common acronym and I'd wager widely known by the under-40
set. Though perhaps it passed you by, since you hadn't seemed to have
heard of Twitter (which has been popular for the past 5 yrs or so with
the same age group).
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-18 03:23:12 UTC
Post by masqueblanche
Post by The Drunken Lord
I didn't know what it meant either.
I wonder how that jackass knew what it meant? He's probably a
fundamentalist christian, and they know those kinds of things.
It's a very common acronym and I'd wager widely known by the under-40
set.
Exactly how would you place such a wager? I know I'd wager you if you
were right here in person so I could take it out of your ass if you
didn't pay up.
MatthewK
2008-06-20 00:43:56 UTC
Post by Bluesea
The only thing I did was agree that the situation described could lead to
hot water for the site owners. Whether or not the situation actually existed
means nothing to me either way. I was only curious about what GLBT meant.
I didn't know what it meant either.
I wonder how that jackass knew what it meant? He's probably a
fundamentalist christian, and they know those kinds of things.
I think it is usually LGBT, at least that is how I see it at
put together at university.

matthew
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-06-16 06:04:13 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
Yeah, but you're assuming this person is telling the truth. This
person might be telling the truth, might not be. If this person is
telling the truth, well, it's a little far fetched that somebody would
seek to pursue inappropriate relationships with minors on FPN.
I find the explanation offered far-fetched, unless one's considering
possibly exposing any minors to non-Christian religions as
"inappropriate relationships."

In FPN's defense, I do point out that one non-Christian thread relating
to pens is still intact, but I don't want to draw attention to it.

And of course, there's the Buddhist scripture pen threads, also intact.
Post by The Drunken Lord
Basically, this person's "family friendly" description backs up what
I've been saying all along about FPN being basically a right wing
fundamentalist site, at least in the area of political views.
Very much. That said, I'm there to discuss pens.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-17 01:43:31 UTC
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:04:13 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
Post by The Drunken Lord
Yeah, but you're assuming this person is telling the truth. This
person might be telling the truth, might not be. If this person is
telling the truth, well, it's a little far fetched that somebody would
seek to pursue inappropriate relationships with minors on FPN.
I find the explanation offered far-fetched, unless one's considering
possibly exposing any minors to non-Christian religions as
"inappropriate relationships."
Damn, there's only one or two minors I know of on FPN. I don't go
there a lot, but I know the place isn't brimmnig with minors.
Post by Deirdre Saoirse Moen
In FPN's defense, I do point out that one non-Christian thread relating
to pens is still intact, but I don't want to draw attention to it.
Yeah, I know they'll sometimes permit mention and discussion of
religions other than christianity. But christianity is the only thing
they allow to be promoted. And, as I've said before, I'm not sure
it's so much the admins and the moderators--those right wing fanatics
on FPN are supposedly very vocal about complaining about thoughts that
are different from theirs. That doesn't excuse the FPN moderators and
admins from listening to them, but squeaky wheels get greased, and
there's nothing squeakier or greasier than a, war mongering, hate
mongering, fundamentalist christian
Post by The Drunken Lord
Basically, this person's "family friendly" description backs up what
I've been saying all along about FPN being basically a right wing
fundamentalist site, at least in the area of political views.
Very much. That said, I'm there to discuss pens.
Well, when you're there, just consider yourself a "guest" in the FPN
shithole, surrounded by idiots and fundamentalist christians.

You are supposed to consider yourself a guest when you're there,
right?
masqueblanche
2008-06-18 16:00:00 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
Damn, there's only one or two minors I know of on FPN. I don't go
there a lot, but I know the place isn't brimmnig with minors.
Of course your case is completely different from the banned member, so
your anecdote isn't really helpful:

a.) He was an administrator with much greater access to member
information and administration tools.

b.) The rest of admin team spent time editing, hiding or apologizing for
his comments in order to limit their liability. They then kicked him
off the admin team so he wouldn't have as much access to information and
when he persisted they ultimately banned him from the site all together.

So, the fact that you don't know of any minors doesn't mean that their
aren't any in the 10+k members of FPN. Similary, the fact that you
can't find any offensive posts from their member just shows that the FPN
admins did a good job sanitizing the site.
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-19 04:15:04 UTC
Post by masqueblanche
Post by The Drunken Lord
Damn, there's only one or two minors I know of on FPN. I don't go
there a lot, but I know the place isn't brimmnig with minors.
Of course your case is completely different from the banned member, so
a.) He was an administrator with much greater access to member
information and administration tools.
So you're sticking to your story that he sent inappropriate emails to
minors on FPN. You do know that even if what you're saying is true,
this sounds like total horseshit, and you can't expect anybody to
believe this, do you?

FPN just does not seem like such a great place for a pedophile to base
his operations. But you're saying that's what he was doing.
Post by masqueblanche
b.) The rest of admin team spent time editing, hiding or apologizing for
his comments in order to limit their liability.
Liability for what? Let me ask you this: How many inappropriate
emails did he send to minors before the FPN admins did a fucking thing
about it?
Post by masqueblanche
They then kicked him
off the admin team so he wouldn't have as much access to information and
when he persisted they ultimately banned him from the site all together.
When he persisted in what exactly?
Sanitizing the site of what exactly?
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-15 17:31:21 UTC
Post by masqueblanche
Post by Bluesea
Post by masqueblanche
Take a look at www.twitter.com, it's basically a system for providing
continuous updates about what you are doing. Kinda like a micro-blog.
I PMed some of the contributors in the know on the closed thread and it
seem they had an ex-Mod who tended to use the forum to promote his
pro-GLBT...
Giant Lettuce, Bacon, & Tomato?
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender.
I don't read every thread on FPN, but I am somewhat familiar with
posts from the person masqueblanche is talking about, and I've never
seen anything like this from him, never. And I assume that nobody
else here who reads FPN has seen anything like this either. In fact,
I assume that maqueblanche is talking shit and that this never
happened.

If FPN does not tolerate anything less than patriotism, support for
our troops, support for George Bush, and a fundamentalist religion
points of view in the political and religious discussoins, I certainly
can't see them going along with the promotion of gay and lesbian
agendas.

But if it's anything like the things I know of going on like this on
FPN, the moderators tolerated the posts from the far right, and when
somebody objected, those posts were censored.

Nobody has ever complained about a far right political view being
censored on FPN.
Post by masqueblanche
He was interested in more than just "pens". His PMs to minors caused
consternation among the admins.
Is FPN the site of choice to track down minors? Maybe we should alert
the FBI or something. But I doubt that pedophiles look at the FPN
site and think, "This is the place for me."
Post by masqueblanche
Coupled with some wacky religious
beliefs, it was decided he wasn't exactly family-friendly and could get
the site in legal trouble if they looked to be supported his deviant
appetites.
All kinds of loaded language in the above paragraph. Here's the
translation:

"wacky religious beliefs"--anything other than fundamentalist
christianity.

"family friendly"--ultra right wing

"deviant appetites"--sex outside of marriage. anything other than
that, the FPN administration would consider deviant.
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-06-16 06:08:19 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
I don't read every thread on FPN, but I am somewhat familiar with
posts from the person masqueblanche is talking about, and I've never
seen anything like this from him, never. And I assume that nobody
else here who reads FPN has seen anything like this either. In fact,
I assume that maqueblanche is talking shit and that this never
happened.
Also my assumption.
Post by The Drunken Lord
"wacky religious beliefs"--anything other than fundamentalist
christianity.
Yep, that'd include me, but so far as I know, none of my (rather tame)
expressions of non-Christianity have been censored.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
masqueblanche
2008-06-17 04:11:12 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
Post by masqueblanche
Post by masqueblanche
Coupled with some wacky religious
beliefs, it was decided he wasn't exactly family-friendly and could get
the site in legal trouble if they looked to be supported his deviant
appetites.
All kinds of loaded language in the above paragraph. Here's the
"wacky religious beliefs"--anything other than fundamentalist
christianity.
"family friendly"--ultra right wing
"deviant appetites"--sex outside of marriage. anything other than
that, the FPN administration would consider deviant.
Hey, you can get defensive if you like. I was just trying to pass along
some additional data about what happened to the mysterious "Kurt" who
seems to have gotten himself banned from FPN and is now posting bitter
messages over at Pentrace, among other places.

Personally, I'm not Christian. Let alone fundamentalist.
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-06-17 21:07:04 UTC
Post by masqueblanche
Hey, you can get defensive if you like. I was just trying to pass along
some additional data about what happened to the mysterious "Kurt" who
seems to have gotten himself banned from FPN and is now posting bitter
messages over at Pentrace, among other places.
Personally, I'm not Christian. Let alone fundamentalist.
I'm sure it had something to do with putting Baron Saturday in his profile
and using Baron Samedi's veve as his avatar for a while. Though that might
have been a reaction.

He could be very helpful, and he could be argumentative, but to his credit,
he'd frequently edit his posts ramping things back.

Anyhow, I do miss his posts on FPN, but I'm glad he's still on Twitter.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
What's his address on twitter?
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-06-19 22:45:51 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
What's his address on twitter?
http://twitter.com/titivillus

I'm:

http://twitter.com/deirdresm
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-18 03:19:05 UTC
Post by masqueblanche
Post by The Drunken Lord
Post by masqueblanche
Coupled with some wacky religious
beliefs, it was decided he wasn't exactly family-friendly and could get
the site in legal trouble if they looked to be supported his deviant
appetites.
All kinds of loaded language in the above paragraph. Here's the
"wacky religious beliefs"--anything other than fundamentalist
christianity.
"family friendly"--ultra right wing
"deviant appetites"--sex outside of marriage. anything other than
that, the FPN administration would consider deviant.
Hey, you can get defensive if you like. I was just trying to pass along
some additional data about what happened to the mysterious "Kurt" who
seems to have gotten himself banned from FPN and is now posting bitter
messages over at Pentrace, among other places.
Personally, I'm not Christian. Let alone fundamentalist.
Whatever you are, I think your story, your hints at the guy being a
pedophile, are totally lame and total hogwash. In case you hadn't
notice, nobody else here seems to be buying your horseshit either.

I don't know why the guy got kicked off FPN, but my guess is that it
wasn't for any legitimate reason.
masqueblanche
2008-06-18 03:39:15 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
Whatever you are, I think your story, your hints at the guy being a
pedophile, are totally lame and total hogwash. In case you hadn't
notice, nobody else here seems to be buying your horseshit either.
If you find the topic scary, confusing or just distasteful, you needn't
continue reading and replying to it. There was some interest on why FPN
was closing some threads and booting some members. I thought the
additional info might be of some interest to some. You needn't believe
it, there is a lot of stuff on the internet that I don't believe.
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-18 22:58:33 UTC
Post by masqueblanche
Post by The Drunken Lord
Whatever you are, I think your story, your hints at the guy being a
pedophile, are totally lame and total hogwash. In case you hadn't
notice, nobody else here seems to be buying your horseshit either.
If you find the topic scary, confusing or just distasteful, you needn't
continue reading and replying to it.
I enjoy reading and replying to your horseshit.
Post by masqueblanche
There was some interest on why FPN
was closing some threads and booting some members. I thought the
additional info might be of some interest to some. You needn't believe
it, there is a lot of stuff on the internet that I don't believe.
Hell no, I don't believe it. But let's go over your story one more
time. You're claiming that he was sending emails to minors on FPN,
"to the consternation of the administrators"?

And that he could have gotten FPN in legal trouble over that?

That's what you're claiming?
c***@gmail.com
2008-06-25 22:56:58 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
Post by masqueblanche
Coupled with some wacky religious
beliefs, it was decided he wasn't exactly family-friendly and could get
the site in legal trouble if they looked to be supported his deviant
appetites.
All kinds of loaded language in the above paragraph.  Here's the
"wacky religious beliefs"--anything other than fundamentalist
christianity.
"family friendly"--ultra right wing
"deviant appetites"--sex outside of marriage.  anything other than
that, the FPN administration would consider deviant.
Hey, you can get defensive if you like.  I was just trying to pass along
some additional data about what happened to the mysterious "Kurt" who
seems to have gotten himself banned from FPN and is now posting bitter
messages over at Pentrace, among other places.
Personally, I'm not Christian.  Let alone fundamentalist.
Hello I'm the mysterious Kurt and am not a pedophile nor part of some
strange religion. I can't imagine why someone would want to spread
rumors like that about another person but they are wrong. I posted
another thread for the reasons that I was banned on FPN.

Kurt
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-06-26 08:42:18 UTC
Post by masqueblanche
He was interested in more than just "pens". His PMs to minors caused
consternation among the admins. Coupled with some wacky religious
beliefs, it was decided he wasn't exactly family-friendly and could get
the site in legal trouble if they looked to be supported his deviant
appetites.
So.... I have to wonder....

You're not talking about Titivillus (Kurt), are you.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
Whoever the liar was taling about--all it is, is lies from an FPN'er.
Jonathan
2008-06-27 05:40:07 UTC
I would love to hear what this bozo that is defending FPN thinks Kurt
wrote in private message to some youngsters. Haha

That sounds so ridiculous it would be an entertaining read to see what
you could dream up.
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-27 13:36:28 UTC
Post by Jonathan
I would love to hear what this bozo that is defending FPN thinks Kurt
wrote in private message to some youngsters. Haha
The thing that got me was that he says the emails to minors were "much
to the consternation" of the other admins, or something like that.
And I'm pretty sure he made reference to more than one email. So we'd
have a few emails and consternation over each one of those emails.
I'd guess the said minors would have been forwarding the emails to the
FPN admins just as soon as they got them.
Post by Jonathan
That sounds so ridiculous it would be an entertaining read to see what
you could dream up.
You know, I can't remember all of that guy's claims, but didn't he
also claim Kurt also had some way out religious views? That would
mean that Kurt is not an FPN certified gun toting fundamentalist
Christian.
Ananias
2008-06-28 02:16:18 UTC
I dont know the guy below any better than I know you....which is to
say not at all. But below is a quote from a thread that was started by
Andy A. and then ceremoniously ended by this guy. The questions were
right along the same lines we are talking about here. This is a
perfect example of authoritative foot in mouth disease. Adults don't
need a guy to "help them ignore" something. This idea didnt work for
Stalin and isnt going to work for any successful and enjoyable
internet forum. I dont think you can track a posts quality by the
number of posts and members....I have seen boards on the net with much
larger numbers than FPN explode with dissension. There is nothing
illegal about free thought and speech. Like you always poke fun at:
its their (who's only a god could know, I dont even know if they
really know) site/forum and everyone else is just "guests". Some
people enjoy being "guests" like that that are controlled like robots
and some have their own opinion and can think without someone guiding
their thoughts....FPN is obviously not the place for them.

Although FPN might keep living on...I dont think you will find any of
the true fountain pen people we mostly enjoy reading posting there. It
will slowly die into nothing but a kumbaya club of people chatting
inks and love. Pentrace is much more enducational and much more
entertaining to read for people who understand know and enjoy pens and
collecting. FPN will quite possibly eventually have to change their
name to Dancing Bunny Network - Where everyone can be called a back
slapper.

" Gerry
post Jun 2 2008, 04:26 AM
Group: Admin
From: Ottawa, Ontario

Sigh....

I guess y'all need a little help ignoring this thread....

Regards,

Gerry "

The Drunken Lord
From: Ottawa, Ontario
Sigh....
I guess y'all need a little help ignoring this thread....
Regards,
Gerry "
Of course, here we can talk about what we want, including what a
dipshit Gerry is. And there's not a goddamn thing Gerry can do about
that.

But that's what it's like to be a guest in Gerry's shithole.

And, of course, Gerry would never show here, though I'd love it if he
would.

Regarding your other comments on FPN--of course, it is set up for a
big blowup, and somebody else will start some other web forum--or
pentrace will get its stuff together and get a more decent board.

Actually, we've had some decent discussions here for the first time in
awhile--at least I think it's been awhile. I had totally quit
monitoring this newsgroup for awhile, a long while. Then I checked
back after I got so disgusted with FPN

But I don't think FPN will go down the tubes. I mean, in one sense,
it's already down the tubes. But there will be people posting on FPN,
who will continue to post, just because most FPN'ers don't even know
what the usenet is and could never figure out how to get here.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-06-04 17:34:09 UTC
Post by masqueblanche
I PMed some of the contributors in the know on the closed thread and it
seem they had an ex-Mod who tended to use the forum to promote his
pro-GLBT and somewhat radical religious views.
What, because he is a vodou practitioner?
That just doesn't seem that weird to me, but okay.

I mentioned my religious taboo against alcohol and got a PM asking if
I too were Mormon. Heh.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-05 04:13:20 UTC
Post by masqueblanche
Take a look at www.twitter.com, it's basically a system for providing
continuous updates about what you are doing. Kinda like a micro-blog.
I took a look at twitter.com and they say that's the next killer app?

Looked like a bunch of pure bullshit to me. Probably more fluff there
than on FPN.
Post by masqueblanche
I PMed some of the contributors in the know on the closed thread and it
seem they had an ex-Mod who tended to use the forum to promote his
pro-GLBT and somewhat radical religious views.
I've heard that moderator had some far out religious views, but let's
face it: anything other than fundamentalism is considered radical on
FPN.
Post by masqueblanche
The FPN team booted him
but he kept posting things that weren't in line with the PC censored
basis of FPN. It seems he pushed them too far this past weekend and
caused the FPN to circle the wagons and crack down on rogue posters.
So what does that mean? That they banned everybody except the ultra
right wing neocons and supporters of George Bush?
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-06-04 17:29:23 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
Damn, I can't go back and look right now--it's bedtime--but I'm sure
it was Pentrace that was mentioned in the thread I read. It said
there was a lot of stuff on Pentrace about censorship on FPN.
It happened on Twitter, but I no longer see titivillus's post that
ignited it. After he was banned, he posted on PT.
Post by The Drunken Lord
I don't even know what Twitter is. Do you have an url?
twitter.com (I'm deirdresm there)
Post by The Drunken Lord
But I went to Pentrace today and didn't see the stuff. I don't know
if I just didn't look good enough though.
Stuff rolls off for good on PT after a few days. Earlier in the week
it stays on for longer, and then the Sunday topics push a bunch of stuff
off.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
Deidre, why don't you send him an invite to come post on the usenet?
MatthewK
2008-06-04 17:38:37 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
Post by The Drunken Lord
I went to Pentrace to read more about it. Somebody needs to direct
those people here. This is a much better place for discussion than
some censored web board.
But I went to Pentrace today and didn't see the stuff. I don't know
if I just didn't look good enough though.
There is some stuff on pg 3 now. It stated in a thread about
what forumes people posted to.

Not sure if that is the infamous thread or not.

matthew
ohio
Bluesea
2008-06-04 14:29:04 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
A lot of those dipshits on FPN go in for traditional
crap, which is why a lot of them use fountain pens.
...and they prefer some old ugly ass blue-black that goes
along iwth their antique pens.
Let's face it: if we couldn't get
Nathan's ink or PR's ink or the new Diamine inks, we'd be left with
the old ugly colors they used back in the days...
I like blue-black and jet black. They're my favorite colors after turquoise.
I like bright colors, too, because they're fun. I think conservative colors
will always have a place and be the inks that you'll never be wrong using.
For example, I was taught to never, ever, write a letter with red ink; it's
rude and an insult. Then, I learned that brown is acceptable for non-serious
letters, but green is to be used only for Christmas correspondence. Later, I
read that purple has gone in and out of fashion over time and it's rude to
write in purple when it's out of fashion.
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-05 04:26:48 UTC
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 09:29:04 -0500, "Bluesea"
Post by Bluesea
Post by The Drunken Lord
A lot of those dipshits on FPN go in for traditional
crap, which is why a lot of them use fountain pens.
...and they prefer some old ugly ass blue-black that goes
along iwth their antique pens.
Let's face it: if we couldn't get
Nathan's ink or PR's ink or the new Diamine inks, we'd be left with
the old ugly colors they used back in the days...
I like blue-black and jet black. They're my favorite colors after turquoise.
You ever seen Diamine Mediterranean Blue? It's a blue turquoise--or
maybe just a medium blue with a bit of green in it. It's close to PR
Tropical Blue. Anyway, it's one of my favorite blue-greens.

Here's another 2 cents: PR Naples tops Navaho Turquoise.

If you've never tried it, playing around with blues and greens in a
cartridge with syringes can be fun. What I do is mix one up, and if
it's too green, add some blue to it. I don't measure out like 19
parts this, one part that, three parts that. That's a bunch of
bullshit and a waste of time. Sometimes I wonder if those guys on FPN
don't spend days--or days and nights--perhaps on methamphetamine or
something--coming up with those 19 to 1 mixes.

But if you come up with mix you like, it is a good idea to have a
notebook handy that you can lay down a line of it and the approximate
proportions.

It can be kind of fun watching the ink color change on the page as you
write after you've added some blue or some green to the mix in the
cartridge. Fuck cleaning the pen out after you add something. Do you
know how much time that would take?
Post by Bluesea
I like bright colors, too, because they're fun. I think conservative colors
will always have a place and be the inks that you'll never be wrong using.
For example, I was taught to never, ever, write a letter with red ink;
I write letters with red ink whenever I please--which is not often,
but I do it sometimes. A whole page of some reds can hurt your eyes
though, writing or reading it.
Post by Bluesea
it's
rude and an insult. Then, I learned that brown is acceptable for non-serious
letters, but green is to be used only for Christmas correspondence. Later, I
read that purple has gone in and out of fashion over time and it's rude to
write in purple when it's out of fashion.
What the hell do I care about whta's in fashion? I write in purple
and green and brown all the time.

But since Baystate Blue has come out, I haven't been switching colors
like I used to.
Bluesea
2008-06-06 22:06:34 UTC
Post by Bluesea
I like blue-black and jet black. They're my favorite colors after turquoise.
You ever seen Diamine Mediterranean Blue?
It's a blue turquoise--or
maybe just a medium blue with a bit of green in it. It's close to PR
Tropical Blue. Anyway, it's one of my favorite blue-greens.
Here's another 2 cents: PR Naples tops Navaho Turquoise.
If you've never tried it, playing around with blues and greens in a
cartridge with syringes can be fun. What I do is mix one up, and if
it's too green, add some blue to it. I don't measure out like 19
parts this, one part that, three parts that. That's a bunch of
bullshit and a waste of time. Sometimes I wonder if those guys on FPN
don't spend days--or days and nights--perhaps on methamphetamine or
something--coming up with those 19 to 1 mixes.
LOL! Like a mad scientist except with shades of ink.
Post by The Drunken Lord
But if you come up with mix you like, it is a good idea to have a
notebook handy that you can lay down a line of it and the approximate
proportions.
Yes, I keep an Ampad for all stray note-taking. After I got my orange, I
recorded it in my journal.
Post by The Drunken Lord
It can be kind of fun watching the ink color change on the page as you
write after you've added some blue or some green to the mix in the
cartridge. Fuck cleaning the pen out after you add something. Do you
know how much time that would take?
I like chasing a light ink with a darker one such as red followed by black,
but since I usually use Japanese fines it takes about a page before the
second color shows up. If I don't want to wait, flushing the pen is actually
the faster way for me to see the new color.
Post by The Drunken Lord
Post by Bluesea
it's
rude and an insult. Then, I learned that brown is acceptable for non-serious
letters, but green is to be used only for Christmas correspondence. Later, I
read that purple has gone in and out of fashion over time and it's rude to
write in purple when it's out of fashion.
What the hell do I care about whta's in fashion? I write in purple
and green and brown all the time.
I like purple ink a lot. I wouldn't know how to tell if it's out of fashion.
Post by The Drunken Lord
But since Baystate Blue has come out, I haven't been switching colors
like I used to.
Yes, blue isn't a color I use much because it bores me, but I like BSB a
lot.
Bluesea
2008-06-06 22:30:11 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
You ever seen Diamine Mediterranean Blue?
Oops. I left blank lines so I could look for it, then forgot. Sorry.

Okay, now that I've seen it, it looks nice enough. It's just that blue isn't
my cup of tea except for BSB. I like Noodler's Blue, but don't use it
because I prefer black and blue-black.
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-06-07 01:29:45 UTC
Post by Bluesea
Post by The Drunken Lord
You ever seen Diamine Mediterranean Blue?
Okay, now that I've seen it, it looks nice enough. It's just that blue isn't
my cup of tea except for BSB. I like Noodler's Blue, but don't use it
because I prefer black and blue-black.
I like greenish blues -- I have pretty much all the Noodler's blues, and I
need to hone down the number I have.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-07 04:02:06 UTC
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 17:30:11 -0500, "Bluesea"
Post by Bluesea
Post by The Drunken Lord
You ever seen Diamine Mediterranean Blue?
Oops. I left blank lines so I could look for it, then forgot. Sorry.
Okay, now that I've seen it, it looks nice enough. It's just that blue isn't
my cup of tea except for BSB. I like Noodler's Blue, but don't use it
because I prefer black and blue-black.
Noodler's Blue is fine, but I don't think anybody who's got American
Blue or DC Blue and Noodler's Blue uses Noodler's blue.
Bluesea
2008-06-08 08:44:20 UTC
Post by Bluesea
Post by The Drunken Lord
You ever seen Diamine Mediterranean Blue?
Oops. I left blank lines so I could look for it, then forgot. Sorry.
Okay, now that I've seen it, it looks nice enough. It's just that blue isn't
my cup of tea except for BSB. I like Noodler's Blue, but don't use it
because I prefer black and blue-black.
Noodler's Blue is fine, but I don't think anybody who's got American
Blue or DC Blue and Noodler's Blue uses Noodler's blue.
I never got them because they didn't seem all that to me. Pro'lly my
monitor.
The Drunken Lord
2008-06-07 04:00:43 UTC
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 17:06:34 -0500, "Bluesea"
Post by Bluesea
Post by The Drunken Lord
It's a blue turquoise--or
maybe just a medium blue with a bit of green in it. It's close to PR
Tropical Blue. Anyway, it's one of my favorite blue-greens.
Here's another 2 cents: PR Naples tops Navaho Turquoise.
If you've never tried it, playing around with blues and greens in a
cartridge with syringes can be fun. What I do is mix one up, and if
it's too green, add some blue to it. I don't measure out like 19
parts this, one part that, three parts that. That's a bunch of
bullshit and a waste of time. Sometimes I wonder if those guys on FPN
don't spend days--or days and nights--perhaps on methamphetamine or
something--coming up with those 19 to 1 mixes.
LOL! Like a mad scientist except with shades of ink.
Some people have come up with some good mixes on FPN, but a good mix
on FPN, that's an exception rather than the rule.

Yeah, they're like mad scientists--you can understand Nathan Tardif
playing mad scientist, because he actually makes money from it--we
hope he makes enough to stay in business. But these FPN fucknuts who
come up with these 7 parts to 4 parts and then they might add one or
two parts of something else. They probably would have liked being
pharmacists back in the old days, when they mixed up medicine like
that, but maybe some of those FPN'ers have their own meth labs.

I have no idea what the actual proportions are on anything I've ever
mixed up--it takes enough time to mix the stuff like I do, without

One thing that is kind of required for mixing though, is Noodler's
Yellow or Noodler's Goldfinch.

Hey, I don't know if anybody gives a shit, but I came up with a
red-black that didn't go brown--using Sheaffer black and Sheaffer Red.
Sheaffer Black is a blue black instead of a brown black, like
Noodler's. But this Sheaffer black-red could probably be improved by
using Noodler's Red instead, because there is no yellow in Noodler's
Red, but a bit of yellow, I think, in Sheaffer red.
Post by Bluesea
Post by The Drunken Lord
But if you come up with mix you like, it is a good idea to have a
notebook handy that you can lay down a line of it and the approximate
proportions.
Yes, I keep an Ampad for all stray note-taking. After I got my orange, I
recorded it in my journal.
If you get into inks, you'll get you a notebook that's dedicated to
ink. Mine is a Mead 5 star that I paid a dollar for.
Post by Bluesea
Post by The Drunken Lord
What the hell do I care about whta's in fashion? I write in purple
and green and brown all the time.
I like purple ink a lot. I wouldn't know how to tell if it's out of fashion.
Purple is the ink I use on queer days, on days when I'm feeling a
little queer.
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-06-07 07:08:13 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
Some people have come up with some good mixes on FPN, but a good mix
on FPN, that's an exception rather than the rule.
The only one I've tried was Lapindigo (more or less 50% Legal Lapis
and 50% Iraqi Indigo, now called Violet Vote). It's fairly close to
Luxury blue, doesn't dry as chalky, and it costs a lot less.

I added some Ottoman Azure and Whiteness of the Whale just because.
Post by The Drunken Lord
One thing that is kind of required for mixing though, is Noodler's
Yellow or Noodler's Goldfinch.
Yes, I've been wanting some.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Bluesea
2008-06-08 09:38:30 UTC
Post by Bluesea
Post by The Drunken Lord
But if you come up with mix you like, it is a good idea to have a
notebook handy that you can lay down a line of it and the approximate
proportions.
Yes, I keep an Ampad for all stray note-taking. After I got my orange, I
recorded it in my journal.
If you get into inks, you'll get you a notebook that's dedicated to
ink. Mine is a Mead 5 star that I paid a dollar for.
I keep loose pages for trying out new pens and inks in a binder. The Ampads
I use have the 3-holes already drilled so all I have to do is tear out the
page(s) and insert into the appropriate binder, if that's what I want to do.
Some pages stay attached in the pads because I don't have binders dedicated
for those types of notes. I put the mix proportions for the orange in my
journal because I take it with me when I travel.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, an index card would be better for
the mix because when the journal's full, I'll be taking a new volume that
won't have the ratio for the mix in it. OTOH, I already travel with index
cards, so adding another won't be any bother.

Thanks for stimulating my brain cells.
macaddicted
2008-05-26 22:08:09 UTC
Post by Brian Ketterling
Post by macaddicted
What matters to me is the fact
that the action was taken without warning or discussion.
I missed whatever led to the Chatter Forum's shutdown, because I rarely
check it. I'd just cut them some slack, go on to other things and let it
get sorted out in its own time -- their abruptness probably has more to do
with being harried than with being hostile.
Brian
Yes, there is nothing quite like benevolent despotism.
Wisdom 6:12 (NRSV)
The Drunken Lord
2008-05-27 04:07:20 UTC
On Mon, 26 May 2008 03:00:42 -0400, "Brian Ketterling"
Post by Brian Ketterling
Post by macaddicted
What matters to me is the fact
that the action was taken without warning or discussion.
I missed whatever led to the Chatter Forum's shutdown, because I rarely
check it. I'd just cut them some slack, go on to other things and let it
get sorted out in its own time -- their abruptness probably has more to do
with being harried than with being hostile.
Well, what happens, I think, is rabid FPN'ers hound the moderators and
the moderators take action as a result. The moderators are to blame
for caving in.

They let all sorts of things go by on FPN, but when somebody is
disagreeing about something--especially in the religious/politcal
chatter forum, the rabid right wingers whiners to the dipshit
moderators.
Paul G
2008-05-26 15:32:23 UTC
Post by Brian Ketterling
Post by macaddicted
What matters to me is the fact
that the action was taken without warning or discussion.
I missed whatever led to the Chatter Forum's shutdown, because I rarely
check it. I'd just cut them some slack, go on to other things and let it
get sorted out in its own time -- their abruptness probably has more to do
with being harried than with being hostile.
Brian
--
Hey, we are seasoned here! We were blessed by Frank Dubiel!
(RIP Frank...we miss you)
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-05-28 03:07:41 UTC
Post by Paul G
Hey, we are seasoned here! We were blessed by Frank Dubiel!
(RIP Frank...we miss you)
For small values of blessed, at least. My taste in pens and Frank's don't
have much overlap.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Deirdre Saoirse Moen
2008-05-26 23:05:02 UTC
Post by macaddicted
The what's and why's don't really matter. What matters to me is the fact
that the action was taken without warning or discussion. It was an
admittedly hostile opposing post, but then my opinion regarding what is
happening is hostile and in opposition. I called into question the
manner in which moderation is acheived. That post was cut. Too sad
really.
Macaddicted, a lot of people are feeling the loss of the Chatter forum.

I'm not going to make judgments about what happened, because I don't
have (and don't care to have) all the info. What I know happened on
another forum (where I did criticize what happened in a similar
situation): the forum had been sued by a PoS.

Hiding the forum and its history seems to go along more with the "ZOMG,
something big just happened" theory than the "straw/camel" theory.

Just a thought.
--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
macaddicted
2008-05-27 01:04:18 UTC
Post by macaddicted
The what's and why's don't really matter. What matters to me is the fact
that the action was taken without warning or discussion. It was an
admittedly hostile opposing post, but then my opinion regarding what is
happening is hostile and in opposition. I called into question the
manner in which moderation is acheived. That post was cut. Too sad
really.
Macaddicted, a lot of people are feeling the loss of the Chatter forum.
I'm not going to make judgments about what happened, because I don't
have (and don't care to have) all the info. What I know happened on
another forum (where I did criticize what happened in a similar
situation): the forum had been sued by a PoS.
Hiding the forum and its history seems to go along more with the "ZOMG,
something big just happened" theory than the "straw/camel" theory.
Just a thought.
I posted on FPN that I don't want Chatter to go away, but it is the
admins decision. What I don't like, and I don't respect, is how
dishonest the admins are being with the members. Ruaidhri just posted
that the admins have been pulling posts (mine was one of them) out of
the thread:
<http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=64343&vi
ew=findpost&p=622833> .

If that is the case then why were they not doing so with the troublesome
posts in Chatter?

If there are rules than we, as members, should know them and be held to
them. But everything the admins have done this weekend has been, to me,
very arbitrary. If Chatter is too much trouble than say so and DO
SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Pull posts, pull threads, suspend or ban members who
continue to act incorrectly. But don't shut down what is evidently your
most popular forum on the board because you don't want to deal with it.

Since there is no owner, as Ruaidhri has also said, the admins are the
caretakers of FPN and have a responsibility to act in a open and fair
way with the members. Which is what I said. Which is what was redacted.
Which is why I am posting here and not there. For if I were to post
there the language would be something a Seargant Major could appreciate.

I meant what I said in another post here that the admins are acting like
benevolent despots. Ruaidhri has also said that the purpose of Chatter
was to discuss non-pen related topics. I have the sneaking suspicion
that Chatter getting out of control was the excuse and not the reason. I
keep hearing about bandwidth and storage on the server. If that is the
reason then tell us. At least it would be honest. But telling us Chatter
was getting out of control because they lacked the will or the desire to
solve the problem is escapism at best.

BTW, I posted much of what I said above on FPN and it was yanked. Other
things have come out since last night that have continued to lower my
opinion of the admins, which I didn't think was possible. Somehow every
solution except for the admins stepping up and actually taking
responsibility for fixing the problem has been suggested (or at least
left visible). But the whole "some members were acting poorly" line
doesn't fly with me.
Wisdom 6:12 (NRSV)
The Drunken Lord

macaddicted
2008-05-27 15:50:00 UTC
Post by The Drunken Lord
Post by macaddicted
BTW, I posted much of what I said above on FPN and it was yanked. Other
things have come out since last night that have continued to lower my
opinion of the admins, which I didn't think was possible.
The admins on FPN are average dipshits. There's not much good you can
say about them: You can't polish a turd.
Welcome to the usenet and invite your friends. The FPN admins will
never come out of the woodwork and into this forum.
Actually I've been on usenet for years. I usually lurk here.